Hi!

> On 16/11/2010 12:44, Tim Cook wrote:
> Democratizing innovation / Eric von Hippel. ISBN 0-262-00274-4

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 16:51, Thomas Beale
<thomas.beale at oceaninformatics.com> wrote:
> this is an interesting looking book, I downloaded it.
> However, as I and I imagine others won't get through 220 pages instantly,
> do you want to summarise what you see as the lessons from it,
>while this discussion is still warm?

The first chapter, 17 pages of easily-read book text, actually seems
to be a summary of the book, offered by the author.
Chapter 1 pdf: http://web.mit.edu/evhippel/www/books/DI/Chapter1.pdf

Under the title "Users? Innovate-or-Buy Decisions" on page 6 in the
chapter-pdf above one gets some hints regarding "agent costs" that
might explain why most apache-hosted project contributors are working
at real "user"-companies and are not agents for the end users funded
by the foundation.

Regarding the need for funded development, I think there is a
misunderstanding in this list discussion - I don't think anybody has
said that developers don't need funding for a project at the scale of
openEHR, neither has anybody said that full-time position for
developers would be bad. The underlying issue is rather
future-proofing the role of a foundation in this puzzle in order to
allow larger entities to trust it and a proper community thinking to
evolve. I won't go into details over again but you can probably get
some hints by re-reading the discussion and the links with this in
mind.

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 23:19, Seref Arikan
<serefarikan at kurumsalteknoloji.com> wrote:
> I personally see this big bootstrapping requirement as a unique problem of
> this domain [...]

Seref, calling it a "bootstrapping" problem was a good way to put it,
I think it (for techies at least) describes the present openEHR
situation in an excellent way.

If e.g. IHTSDO now has seen this problem and wants to help out with
the initial bootstrapping, then perhaps they can temporarily
themselves employ people like Tom for a while to work on open source
tooling and documentation according to IHTSDOs requirements and at the
same time inspire the foundation to transition into a more open and
sustainable form in order to survive the changed requirements that
will likely become even more apparent when the bootstrapping phase is
over. I don't know if that's what the openEHR-IHTSDO talks are about,
they seem to be pretty secret and cut of from any community
discussion.

Back to the book, links to all chapters and the entire book:
http://web.mit.edu/evhippel/www/democ1.htm

What I have read so far is very interesting, and it seems to avoid
becoming yet another political pamphlet, rather it seems to be a
theoretical framework based on empirical findings, so thanks for the
book recommendation. I think the openEHR approach in the long run can
inspire and allow a lot of end user innovation (as described in the
book) without loosing interoperability and transcending into total
chaos.

Best regards,
Erik Sundvall
erik.sundvall at liu.se http://www.imt.liu.se/~erisu/? Tel: +46-13-286733