Greetings,
I can see a specific pattern emerging in the recent mails of this thread, to
which I'd like to response, and contribute.
I will repeat my point I've made some time ago in this discussion, and by
doing so I will insist on it. To deliver what openEHR is capable of, there
is a significant requirement for time and money.
Therefore I agree with Tom's points about posts and funding, and disagree
with Erik and Tim, if I'm getting what they've been saying right.

There is a consensus one can identify, about what is actually demanded from
the openEHR standard. All the names heavily involved in this domain have
discussed these requirements in time, some seeing a larger set of
requirements than the others. At a very simplistic level, hours is what we
need indeed. But there is a threshold for the amount of hours me, you, or
anybody else needs to put into openEHR to deliver what is clearly demanded.
With such a complex problem, we need lots and lots of hours, and the
threshold which turns the required work into a full time position is reached
very quickly with openEHR.

The perception of this cost is different for everyone. Going back to the
anology I've used, everyone is asking for what they need, which is way
smaller than the total demand, and this is mostly likely to be the reason
for people to say "how hard can it be?, I'm just asking for XYZ!" Delivering
what a party asks for, without breaking the consistency of the solution
(which makes it a solution in the first place), requires a lot of work and
coordination. As in many things in life, people (including me) are only
interested in what they're looking for, and if it is not there, than it does
not matter to them if there is huge amount of work and promise out there. I
do the very same thing every day.

But there is also another side to this fact: when you contribute, your
contribution does not necessarily solve a lot of others' problems.  You may
think that individuals each committing a limited amount of time into the
solution may develop what we all ask for, but you simply can not. You need
to set priorities of tasks, based on the actual impact of the outcome of the
tasks, and unless everybody who puts input in any way knows absolutely
everything about everybody else's requirement, you can not do this.

So often I see this necessity either neglected, or its very existence not
accepted. Many of the other works so often referred to are similar in one
way or another to our project(s) here, but in my opinion that similarity is
not strong enough to suggest that what has worked in other foundations,
projects would also work with openEHR. Size and scope of the task at hand,
the problem domain, the commercial space around the domain all matter in
success or failure of initiatives like openEHR, and just looking at outcomes
and only including one or two of the factors which led to those outcomes do
not produce meaningful examples.

Just like many other groups out there, openEHR is suffering from an
asymetry. The input regarding the requirements and what should exist is
gigantic, compared to input to deliver the results. Also, the cost of making
a request is much lower than actually responding to that request.. This is
not a bad thing, not a complain or rant, this is just a fact of this kind of
organization. It is just that you need to acknowledge this situation to
solve the problem, and develop a way to solve the problem with this picture
in mind.

Whereever we are with openEHR, this is where we are now. This is the
solution we have in our hands, which reached this point as a result of
whatever happened in the past, which will never ever change. openEHR was
born in its own way, grew its own way, and due to million things effecting
its domain, ended up where it is now. Looking at the history of other works
won't change this. Their evolution brought them to where they are, better or
worse, and openEHR's brought us here.

Let me specialize Tom's argument: as far as I know, no member of the openEHR
community who is putting his/her work out there for others to used freely,
is getting paid just for doing so. To tackle the tasks I've outlined above,
there should be people who are funded to perform these tasks. People's work
on openEHR in their own companies, environments are not relevant unless they
end up being available to the rest of the community, and there are very few
instututions who let their intangible assets go into public domain.

We need to do a huge amount of work, and I personally don't see this work
being done in any other way than a properly funded, planned, and managed
approach. You can't break down all tasks and diffuse it into some good
intention based completely democratic virtual work force. openEHR has lots
of tasks with this nature at hand, and many things which has worked in other
scenarios won't work here because of this.

Best Regards
Seref