On 18/03/2012 22:21, Stef Verlinden wrote:

> Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone
>
> Op 18 mrt. 2012 om 15:15 heeft Thomas Beale<thomas.beale at
> oceaninformatics.com>  het volgende geschreven:
>
>> I still think Quantities should be computable as such - if we don't know how
>> many mcg of substance 3 puffs is, we can't compute with it.
> Although i tend to agree with you, this won't work because then you assume
> that we're talking about the absolute truth. The absolute truth only exist
> when you're talking, for instance, about astronomics. In medicine you can't
> say 25 ml of alcohol is lethal. You can only say something like: 25 ml of
> alcohol is lethal in an adult man of 80 kg. And only when he doesn't drink
> more than 15 unit alcohol ? week. When he drinks more then The lethal dose is
> higher. For ? roman of the same weight who drinks<  15 units ? week, the
> lethal dose is lower.
>
> My point is that an absolute quantity alone doesn't meander much. At The
> other hand, we know empirically that if someone has smoked 15 pack years he's
> at serious risk.
>
> Then about puffs. I' m almost sure that you can translate ? puff info a
> volume. If i remember it correctly 40 drops is 1 ml. So the same should go
> for puffs.

ok but you are still talking about making it computable somehow - by
assuming 1ml = 40 drops or whatever. If we want a kind of quantity that
accommodates only representation in non-systematic units, we should not
mix this type up with a proper Quantity that can be used with 90% (or
maybe its only 75%) of all clinical data.

- thomas