Dear all,

On s?n, 2012-03-18 at 13:57 +0100, Grahame Grieve wrote:
> Are discrete units only encountered in administrative directives? Do
> you prohibit people from making observations or measurements that
> include discrete units such as puffs, tablets, patches, vials, strips etc?

There are examples of counting observables in both the laboratory and
clinical domains like "number of erythrocytes in urine", "number of
complement C3b receptors on thrombocytes", "number of petechiae of skin
per cm^2".

If for example assuming the SI system base quantities, the kind of
quantity is "number" with "N" as symbol and "1" or "one" as the unit.

Comparing to another commonly known kind of quantity, length, and the
unit "meter", "1.83 m" means 1.83 times the length of the Paris meter.
Further, my body height quantity inheres in my body and the unit "meter"
may be used to represent the length on a ratio scale, i.e. my body
height = 1.83 m or 1.83 times the Paris meter. However, this quantity
may be represented using other units such as the International foot.

Going back to tablets, in "2 tablets 500 mg paracetamol" the part
"tablets 500 mg paracetamol" is not just a point of reference for
representing the number quantity but part if of the quantity being
observed (or stated). This part cannot be exchanged and thus cannot be a
unit.

The DV_QUANTITY class has no attribute for specifying the kind of
quantity of which the magnitude field is a result of observation (or
decision). Previously, this has been managed within archetypes, e.g. the
systolic blood pressure quantity is referred to by binding the at0004
code to the term "Systolic" and through this node's context within the
archetype. In instances, there is no reference to any kind of quantity
apart from units, which do not fully describe the kind of quantity, and
any reference to the archetype on which the instance is based.

Thus, my 2-cent suggestion is to stay on the path, keep DV_QUANTITY
clean, and manage any issues around representation of doses in
archetypes.

Finally, there is the whole science of metrology backing this up. Please
refrain from giving this solid ground up.

Regards,
Daniel