On 19/03/2012 02:15, Grahame Grieve wrote:
> for me, conversion between different units that are comparable. You
> should ask Tom what else he thinks it yields up. I'd be interested.
>
> Grahame
>

> *
> *

well any mathematical operation working on quantities - e.g. averages,
max, min, variance, standard deviation etc etc. These kind of operations
are ubiquitous in research queries, and will become increasingly so in
personal health records. Just consider what is needed to determine the
actual amount of tobacco consumed by each of 10,000 patients in a cohort
- each of whom report their usage in terms of 'tailor-made cigarettes',
'hand-rolled cigarettes', 'cigars', 'chewing tobacco' (okay not popular,
but still in use in some places!), 'grams a week (of pipe tobacco)', etc
etc. Some patients have a mixture of these.

Same argument for amounts of drugs taken by patients in a cancer study,
amounts of sugar, salt, cholesterol computed from food recorded in
patient diet and so on. How about a query that finds all patients with
blood sugar over 7? What if they input the data (at home) in different
unit systems due to different equipment?

We simply can't do any useful /computing /if we can't trust the data. We
don't do that much computing now with it because of the unreliability of
the available data, but the only interesting future really is being able
to do intelligent computing with the data. To get there we have to be
able to compute reliably with quantities.

I have no problem with data that records only 'puffs', 'patches',
'pessaries', 'pills', 'pellets' or 'powder'.... but we don't want to
compromise data that record normal scientific quantities. Therefore I
think we should be treating these kind of amounts as a separate type.
This is distinct from the problem of Quantities that do have scientific
units, but there is a conflict with the displayable form. I think we
should accommodate that in the current data type - a small modification
would take care of that.