Hi Grahame,

Wed 2012-03-21 klockan 10:26 +0100 skrev Grahame Grieve:

> Hi Daniel
>
> No one is talking about abandoning what we have. The only question is about
> the way that the casual measurements of countable discrete things where the
> ucum unit is "1" are handled. I think that we're agreed that openEHR and, for
> that matter, HL7 v2 and v3 haven't go this right yet. In the openEHR context,
> the question is, how should this be done?

Why not just treat numbers (or counts) as any other quantity? There
might be a case for providing a field for specifying the kind of
quantity in the DV_QUANTITY class, but as in the example below, this is
often includes more complex terminology-information model constructs
than a single field.

> > tablets 500 mg paracetamol" is not just a point of reference for
> > representing the number quantity but part if of the quantity being
> > observed (or stated).
>
> I don't think this is true. Mostly, we look for codes for what is measured,
> and the codes don't include that part. So if you, as v3/CDA do, say that that
> is part of the thing that is measured, you are asking people to do an
> impossible feat of post-coordination.

Well, I still think it's true! What's in a code and what's not is a
matter of the terminology binding assumptions made in the specific
situation. This kind of "post-coordination" (depending on what is meant
by this term) is happening constantly with e.g. laboratory medicine
where the kind of property observed is stated using a code from a
terminology like LOINC or, even better, NPU ;). This code does however
in most cases not specify the procedure to a sufficient degree so this
information is added in the message thereby adding to the meaning of the
code. The same is done for sample material and sample location. I would
prefer this solution to overloading the unit with things that break the
assumptions of metrology.

/Daniel