On Apr 22, 2006, at 5:13 PM, Tim.Churches wrote:

> Will Ross wrote:
>> ARTICLE 5 - MEMBERSHIP
>>
>> 5.2  -  The Committee when rejecting an application SHALL provide a
>> reason.
>
> Strictly speaking, "shall" should be used only for the first person
> singular or plural. The use of "should" (as the text currently
> reads) to
> convey obligation is acceptable and common usage - see
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/
> learnitv43.shtml
> - although I note that "shall" has a specific meaning of obligation in
> American formal usage, which it doesn't have in the formal English
> usage
> in most Commonwealth countries, although I note that teh use of
> "shall"
> throughout the proposed constitution doesn't adhere to strict formal
> English usage.
>
> However, I think we are splitting hairs (but not infinitives) here.
> Shall we leave it as is?

tim,

i am fine either way.   but as a matter of reference, i was thinking
of "should, shall, may" in the "sob" sense:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt

>> ARTICLE 16 - PROHIBITIONS
>>
>> 16.4  -  I don't understand this.   Are Malaysian students who are
>> over 21 prohibited from joining OSHCA unless they have prior written
>> approval from the University?
>
> Presumably all the rules in this section are required to meet some
> slightly idiosyncratic Malayasian legal requirements - every
> country has
> its own peculiarities (for example, the gambling game of "two-up" is
> illegal in Australia except on 25th April - true! - see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-up

excellent!    shall we schedule a game three days hence?

;-)

[wr]

- - - - - - - -

will ross
project manager
mendocino informatics
216 west perkins street, suite 206
ukiah, california  95482  usa
707.462.6369 [office]
707.462.5015 [fax]
www.minformatics.com

"Getting people to adopt common standards is impeded by patents."
         Sir Tim Berners-Lee,  BCS, 2006

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS