On Dec 2, 2006, at 11:13 AM, ivhalpc wrote:

> Open standards alone are an artificial separation of code and data
> that is un-tenable. Source code without data and data without source
> code are not very useful. To be circular: a .odt (Open Document Text)
> file without OpenOffice.org is a .odt file without Openoffice.org.
> Major thinkers going back to Alan Turing have noted that the
> artificial separation of code and data is just that: artificial. It is
> like space-time. Time without space and space without time are
> meaningless. You can argue with me on this, but I don't think I can be
> convinced otherwise. Everytime I hear someone advocating open
> standards without or against open source I remember this.
>
> -- IV

Nonsense. If open standards (such as the IP suite of protocols) were
meaningless, we wouldn't have an Internet today.

BTW, I agree with you 100% on the point that the separation between
code and data is artificial, but that is not the point.

Gregory Woodhouse
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"We may with advantage at times forget what we know."
--Publilius Cyrus, c. 100 B.C.