ivhalpc wrote:
> Open standards alone are an artificial separation of code and data
> that is un-tenable. Source code without data and data without source
> code are not very useful. To be circular: a .odt (Open Document Text)
> file without OpenOffice.org is a .odt file without Openoffice.org.

Ignacio,

have you heard of Koffice? Runs unde KDE, very good, and it reads and
write .odt files too. So do other software products ege Google Docs and
Spreadsheets - there is a comprehensive list here:
http://opendocumentfellowship.org/applications

The whole point of the ODF specs is to remove dependence on a single
source of software, regardless of whether that source is open or closed
source.

I think a more correct assertion would be that data without metadata are
not very useful, and that is analogous to saying that medical data
stored in an openEHR system are not useful without access to the
archetype definition used to store them. Which is why I have been trying
to elucidate the precise licensing of the openEHR archetype definitions.

Tim C