From: openhealth@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Christian Heller
Sent: Monday, 5 February 2007 01:05
To: openhealth@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [openhealth] OSHCA Conference Topics

Hi Klaus,

> Re question 3, I would like to suggest we look at the topic "How can FOSS
> applications share data with other existing healthcare applications?".
This
> aim of the topic is that there already are well-established standards
(HL7,
> LOINC, SNOMED, etc.) in use in healthcare systems and that to be able to
> integrate into existing healthcare institutions any new (FOSS) system must
> be able to use these standards. We started on this topic at the London
OSHCA
> meeting, but much more work needs to be done.

yes, you are correct. As I wrote yesterday in my other email on
"Getting OSHCA organised", it should not:
1 Define technical architectures
2 Mandate use of specific standards .. nor try to define its own
That is at least what we in the committee agreed upon. Opinions welcome.

In other words, OSHCA should focus on inter-operability using *existing*
standards, instead of defining its own, as you write. However, it may
give recommendations on which standards to prefer. Although OSHCA would
be neutral assessing standards, open standards would clearly be preferred.

My thoughts are that it'd be nice to have one-hour presentations of
standards like HXP, HDTF (CORBAmed), OpenEHR, HL7, xDT etc. on one day.
Ideally, the presentations would give few theory and demonstrate on
practical examples (code snippets, live demo or whatever), how they work,
just like at a developer's conference. Although I know basic principles
behind most of these standards, the conference would already be worth
visiting for me, because I'd get essential knowledge in a compact form.
And this is presumably also what our Asian (developer) colleagues
expect from the conference: to get a brief overview of important
technologies. I suggest to exclude terminology standards this time,
or to plan just one presentation giving an overview of some of them.
Instead, we should focus on pure data exchange.

But these are just my ideas and wishes. Others in this list may vote
me down and change the conference agenda. Tell us your wishes and we
will try to realise them.

Christian