On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 09:53 -0600, Corey Minyard wrote:

> > oopses (appended below).  Does this patch require one or more of the
> > other patches in the 39.1 set to be happy (for instance, the
> > allow-hot-smi-remove patch), or am I running into some other issue?
> >
> I looked at this yesterday and today, I cannot figure out what would be
> different between the two scenarios.  I could not reproduce this, and
> it's probably best to just take all the patches as that is what I
> tested.  I did test different loading orders in my testing.
>
> I'll try to look at this again today.

I totally agree that it would be best to use all the patches rather than
to just pull out a few of them and I would always prefer to do that but
in the case of the particular scenario/issue I'm currently working on,
it won't be possible in the near-term. :-(

I did try loading the ipmi-allow-hot-smi-remove patch along with the
other 4 patches I listed and it did seem to fix the driver-load-order
oops.  Is that a stand-alone patch or are there others in the set that
need to be loaded along with it?  I ran some tests with this new 5-patch
subset and didn't find any problems but my testing wasn't exhaustive so
I'm hoping to verify that grabbing only these 5 alone won't introduce
some other issue in some area I didn't touch in my testing.

> > I got a bit of info about the order in which the SMBIOS table is
> > populated and found out that it's currently populated in order of
> > increasing KCS I/O address but that this isn't necessarily an ordering
> > scheme that can be assumed for the future.  Also, regarding changing the
> > BIOS to make the deviceID unique across BMCs, I was told that if these
> > changes were made, we would likely be facing many issues such as
> > DeviceID mismatches with what's coded up in the SDR data, etc.  So I
> > suspect it's something that might not happen anytime soon (if ever).
> >
> That really doesn't make any sense.  The only place I could find where
> this Device ID is used is in the type 13 SDR: "Management Controller
> Confirmation Record".  This record is used by utility software to record
> that it found a specific management controller in the system.  It seems
> of limited value to me, anyway, and having different device IDs would
> seem to make this easier, not harder, to identify the different
> management controllers.  From what I can tell, the use of this is for
> system software to record the current management controller
> configuration.  Then if system software finds something different, it
> can say "Hey, something changed" and handle it.
>
> Note that the term "Device ID" is heavily overloaded in the IPMI spec.
> It also has "FRU Device ID" and "Device ID String", but those are
> completely different things.
>
> I see no other reliable mechanism to correlate management controllers
> with nodes, especially if nodes ever become dynamic.  I really doubt you
> will have any issues unless you have software that is hardcoded to
> handle this.  That doesn't seem so, since they are all the same and it
> doesn't provide any real useful information.  Perhaps the group doing
> the work can suggest a reliable way to correlate the nodes and the
> management controllers?

Thanks very much for your input on this.  I'll take what you've said
back to the BIOS folks and re-open the discussion.  :-)

Thank you very much again for your ongoing and excellent help. :-)

Carol