Well I guess I am in the "once bitten, a thousand times shy" category after
my experiences with Swing over the years.

As I have mentioned in my blog posts, I believe the "native" look-and-feels
for Swing were a monumental mistake.  The first version of the Swing
Windows look-and-feel for example left most people a bit gun shy because it
was just so blatantly obviously different from the native OS and even now I
don't feel that this look-and-feel is something I would ever want to use in
an application I sold commercially.  The problem is that is eerily similar
to the native UI but sufficiently different to give the user a very uneasy
feeling.  It still makes a Swing application look like an imposter.

One of the most notable issues was when Windows Vista arrived.  Prior to
then it was fairly easy to render a Windows progress bar in Swing but with
Vista came an animated green progress bar that was never properly
implemented in Swing.  The problems across all controls worsened with
Windows 7 and are now at their peak with Windows 8.

The fact that Swing supports pluggable look and feels (PLAFs) is absolutely
awesome and was quite revolutionary but to extrapolate that concept into
making a native look and feel one of those was a huge mistake.  The
cross-platform PLAFs like Nimbus and even more so Substance that did not at
all try to resemble any native UI were by far the best PLAFS to use.

So I don't want to see all this repeated with JavaFX. Trust me,
mobile/tablet users *will* spot the differences between a native app and a
JavaFX app and they *will* be affected by this (especially Apple users).
 Steve Jobs would never have allowed this to happen and quite rightly so.

So for mine, there are only two possible ways forward.

1. Use lightweight JavaFX controls exclusively.  This is akin to Nimbus or
Substance as a Swing PLAF.  Then it's quite clear that the app is not
trying to impersonate a native app and there is endless flexibility in the
way the controls look and behave.  The downside of course is that there can
be no native controls used but it may still be possible to integrate the
non-visual aspects of native controls like I mentioned earlier.

2. Implement the "layering" scheme where true native components are mixed
with JavaFX controls.  The advantage is that it will look and behave
exactly like a native app with the added benefit that comes from the
addition of lightweight controls.

Option 1 is the most likely solution and is much easier to implement than
option 2.  Option 1 is limited in that it wouldn't be possible to utilise
any native control rendering which would limit the types of native controls
that could be used (iAds for example would be a no go).  Option 2 is
limited in that the native controls would be rendered by the OS and then
the entire solution is limited by the range of transformations supported by
the OS and also the degree of visual customisation available.

I would really hope we can make Option 2 happen but Option 1 would be a
perfectly acceptable way forward as well.

FYI, here's my 6 Degrees post:
http://justmy2bits.com/2013/09/30/javafx-on-ios-and-android-six-degrees-of-separation/

Felix