Hi Bob,

Thank you for your reply.
This approach you describe in
https://mindchasers.com/dev/openocd-darsena-windows creates a Windows
executable to be run in Cygwin.

For software experts, that is certainly good. Most software experts don't
bother installing Cygwin, or they just switch entirely to Linux to do the
development.

The people I'm trying to give a voice are pure hardware experts with limited
software exposure. Some of them are even still developing in assembly (not
joking) and learning C today. They are comfortable in Windows, on which they
use a PCB drawing tool like Eagle. These people need a "standalone" Windows
executable, one that runs natively on Windows (no need for Cygwin).

To build a standalone executable for such people, I found the following source:

https://www.playembedded.org/blog/building-openocd-under-windows-using-msys2/

With that step-by-step guide, I was able to successfully build a standalone
executable that simply runs on Windows. Unfortunately, the build relies on a
repository from a guy named "Alex Pux". It is not the official Gerrit
repository, so the result of the build is not really up-to-date.
It would be awesome to have a similar step-by-step guide to build OpenOCD into
a standalone Windows executable, pulling in the latest Gerrit repository to get
the most up-to-date version.

Kind greetings,

Kristof Mulier