zach> Please DO NOT try to cheat the GPL license. You do not understand how
zach> far I am willing to take these matters, and I believe any form of
binary
zach> distribution to be a violation: a DLL wrapper, a binary patch,
anything!

Let me ask this another way. I believe the question is some what moot,
and was moot 4 years ago one OpenOCD was originally written.

========
Basic thesis statement, and IANAL... But I can sound like one.
========

    If I am the original author of a body of work, I hold the original
copyright and can license that body of work as I please, under the GPL
with any exception that I please. Those that follow do not have the
ability to further restrict, nor change that license.

    As the original copyright holder, I can choose to explicitly write
an exception for a specific use case of the package (or fail to),
however - if my personal actions effectively construct and demonstrate
that use case - is valid and acceptable - then it is an unwritten exception.

    You cannot change my original intention, nor can you change that
original license and/or any exception that may have been granted before
you got involved.

========
Argument.
========

It is well know that  Dominic Rath, is the original author of OpenOCD.
By reviewing his original releases that I find in the SVN repository, I
can't get back to Rev1, Rev 50 fails, Rev 75 works,  By Dominic's on
hand purposely created OpenOCD to support the "ftd2xxx" library on windows.

As I understand (and Laurent or Dominic can confirm) Domenic worked with
Laurent to help develop the ftd2xx driver (and library) based jtag key.

Perhaps - I do not now - but I assume. Dominic and other developers of
the package at the time actively participated and encouraged the package
to be *USED*WITH* and in fact *SOLD*WITH* this 'incompatible library'

While not *explicitly* *written* I view this as an original exception
that was unwritten, but granted, as demonstrated by the original author,
and original copyright holder of the package as an acceptable exception.

We as a group, perhaps may not like this fact, but it is what it is. I
can not change that original exception, nor can anyone else. It was part
of the deal when each of us started to contribute to OpenOCD.

For example - see the Amontec "Application note - copyright 2000 to
2006" which explicitly references the FT22xx drivers.

    http://www.amontec.com/pub/amt_ann006.pdf

I also point out the history of openocd on the Amontec web site

    http://www.amontec.com/openocd.shtml  (bottom of the page)

The person who can clarify any misunderstanding is Domenic, and Dominic
alone.

**END**

-Duane.