On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 09:46 +0200, Nico Coesel wrote:
> [...]

No, it is about the GPL's design: to force developers to produce open
solutions.  No one is being forced to pay, but those who cannot develop
have no other means at their disposal than diplomacy or bribery. ;)
I do not care who does this work (or whether they are paid), but it
seems rather clear that it needs to be done.  I am ready and willing.

> > I have offered my services repeatedly to those who need it to help
> > resolve this situation with technical solutions.  Instead, I am being
> > asked to give up my GPL copyright claims on the work that I have done,
> > without any compensation.  Are you kidding me?  Under what obligation
> am
> > I required to help others that project from violating the GPL license?
>
> I think Magnus has a good point in saying that the exception for the
> FTDxx is already there. Not everything needs to be in writing in order
> to make it legal. right you can't suddenly revoke.

Are you willing to defend this position in court?  Do you think that
others should take this assertion at face value?  There are reason
contracts are written down, and this kind of crap argument sums them up.

I am really getting frustrated by the claim that "everyone knew" about
the exception.  I most certainly did not, and you will have an
impossible case proving that I accepted these terms in face of the
in-tree copy of the unadulterated GPL.  Those are the terms I accepted,
without any exceptions.

> I can see this going two ways:
> 1) adding the tcp/ip / named pipes interface which will allow connection
> to any closed source driver
> 2) grant *one* single explicit exception for the FTDxx driver
>
> Pick your poison :-)))

I chose #1, because #2 is not strictly possible.  And because it is the
Right Thing To Do for the community, in strategic sense of those words.
Now, I cannot be said to be a GPL fundamentalist with such a position,
and I have always seen the value of such solutions.  This is not new.

Michael Fischer just contacted me off-list about this specific solution,
which he sees as the best way to move forward out of this mess.  I will
help him, because of his proactive willingness to move forward on these
issues in a constructive manner.  Who else deserves such consideration?

Cheers,

Zach