On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 12:20 +0200, Dominic Rath wrote:
> This goes inentionally to you alone, feel free to bring it up on the list if
> you want...
>
> > You have made me start to wonder if it would be possible to bring some
> > sort of claim of "misrepresentation" against the project authors, were
> > your suggestion to be taken by others.  The COPYING file is the standard
> > way of notifying potential authors of a project's license, so I think
> > that I would have a good chance of proving that the authors neglected to
> > inform authors -- whether by intention or accident.
>
> I suppose that means I have to remove all code you've contributed from
> the repository in order to protect myself from what you might or might
> not do. I will also have to ask all distributors to remove any version
> since january 2009.

Actually, that would no longer be acceptable; you are welcome to fork
the code, but I ask that you avoid making such changes.  The license is
and was GPL, and I am now a copyright holder, maintainer, and active
contributor to the project.  You would be taking a unilateral action
that would not be uniformly supported by the OpenOCD community, whereas
I am asserting my individual copyrights.  I can do what I have done, but
the community should vote to exile my changes.

You have abdicated your authority in this community, and I resent your
showing up here and making threats to remove my code.  I have asserted
my rights after making a clear case that I have earned the privilege to
do so.  You have effectively admitted to your own negligence with
regards to licensing, which you must now accept like a grown-up.  Sorry.

I am trying to work with the community.  What are you trying to do?
Who is the totalitarian dictator here?

> Not that I think that any remotely sane court would consider your
> claim, but I certainly wont take this chance. You've been threatening
> me personally with potential legal actions at least twice, and this is
> nothing I'm willing to accept.

I am threatening violators with action.  Are you a violator?  No, and I
would not take action against you unless you violated my copyrights,
which I have no reason to believe is the case or would be.  Right?

I will also say again that I am not interested in taking action for any
past violations, but I am willing to defend my rights in the future.
This position was made clear by me from the outset.  Your opinion about
what a "remotely sane court" would or would not consider is exactly
that, and you need to decide whether you are willing to test it.

Please get legal counsel before taking any action with the repository,
unless you would like to help constructively move the community out of
this morass.  That will be my primary intention and focus.

> Please think about what you've just suggested and feel free to clarify
> your point.

Ditto.

Cheers,

Zach