Hi Dominic,

first of all: there is every evidence that the technical problems
that USB are encountering these days will be resolved *LONG*
before any change in license could be effecuated.

I even believe that USB problems will be fixed before the community will have
finished debating the ramifications of a specific license change
proposal(none has been posted so far).

About GPL that was there from the start:

One of the *main* reasons I decided to get into OpenOCD at revision 214 (or
was it before?) was that I felt confident that the GPL license protected
my interests and that a pure GPL license *without* any exceptions was
the least of evils. I saw downsides and upsides, but overall I felt that
pure GPL was a good choice. There was/is lots of non-GPL alternatives
out there that I would have considered instead of OpenOCD.

Even more important, I knew that the license could not be changed
after I and others had made non-trivial changes without me & the
community having an oportunity to veto it.

After a while I saw that enough work was put down into the GPL license
that changing it became impractical for better or worse.

One of the nice things about GPL is that it is impossible to put GPL on
a project first, then a couple of years later say "Ha! I really intended not
GPL but some other license...". Nobody will sue you if you stick to
the GPL license that you put down in the first place, but if you start
to say "I really intended something else than I wrote down", then you're
on a slippery slope.

--
Øyvind Harboe
Embedded software and hardware consulting services