Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) wrote:
You are speaking here too much from the developer side and forget the user...If this makes it easier to configure it correctly, than it is an advantage!

honestly, users are using what the distribution provides. very few people compile software on their own, and if they do, they usualy
can deinstall some -dev package, compile and install it again, if
they absolutely need to have software abc installed without support
for xyz(-dev).

only users of gentoo, bsd and friends (i.e. "I compile it myself" distros/OS) have the problem, they can't easily remove a -dev part of a package and add it again later.

yes, I'd like to help them too. but there is a limit on how much cruft
we add to our code, only because someone else didn't do his homework.
(ok, that is not entirely fair, because those OS/distris don't have the
concept of packages, they expect things from the source that everyone
else who has the concept of packages doesn't need. but I do favor the
solution that needs complexity in one place - i.e. package management -
and not in many places).

Regards, Andreas