On 12/11/06, Andreas Jellinghaus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
yes, I'd like to help them too. but there is a limit on how much cruft
we add to our code, only because someone else didn't do his homework.
(ok, that is not entirely fair, because those OS/distris don't have the
concept of packages, they expect things from the source that everyone
else who has the concept of packages doesn't need. but I do favor the
solution that needs complexity in one place - i.e. package management -
and not in many places).

What?!?!?!
There ARE packages, just that they are compiled at the end-system, and
not provided as binary only from central compilation.
The only difference is that if you have source based packages, you can
choose which features you like to use, and for this reason a package
should support explicit disabling every optional feature.
This is not optional when using binary based packages, since you will
have about 100 different binary versions in average for every package.

If you like we can discuss this odd source based distributions, maybe
after you understand them some more you even like it! :)

Also please note that these source based distributions are good test
case for a package compatibility... Compiling your package in so many
different environment helps in discovering issue you did not think of.

Best Regards,
Alon Bar-Lev.