Hi guys,

I've been trying to compile local versions of openssl, opensc, and
engine_pkcs11 as we discussed earlier. After I compile openssl, I try to
compile engine_pkcs11 using that version of openssl, but I can't get that to
work correctly. If I include $HOME/Desktop/openssldir/bin in $PATH (where
the new local version of openssl is) and exclude /usr/sfw/bin from $PATH
(where the old version of openssl is), I get:
checking for LIBP11... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating aclocal/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/Makefile
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating config.h

Engine_pkcs11 has been configured with the following options

OpenSSL support:          no
        with engine:      no
        with sslhack:     no

But if I include /usr/sfw/bin in $PATH (which I don't want to do), I get a
much more pleasing:

checking for LIBP11... yes
checking for openssl version... good, 0.9.7d or later
checking whether we can use -Wl,-Bsymbolic... no
checking whether we can use -G -Wl,-Bsymbolic... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating aclocal/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/Makefile
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating config.h

Engine_pkcs11 has been configured with the following options

OpenSSL support:          yes
        with engine:      yes
        with sslhack:     no

It looks like it doesn't even look for openssl after it finds libp11 when I
try to use the local version of openssl. I don't understand why simply
choosing to include one directory of binaries over another can have this
effect.

Also, as I mentioned before, compiling openssl doesn't generate .so files in
its /lib directory, only .a files. Is this a problem? I tried recompiling
several times and it seems like it's pretty sure this is what it wants to
do.

Contents of $OPENSSL_DIR/lib:

$ ls
engines      libcrypto.a  libssl.a     pkgconfig

I tried adding this /pkgconfig to the $PKG_CONFIG_PATH, but engine_pkcs11
still does not recognize it.

./configure --help tells me that I can use:
  --with-openssl=PATH     use OpenSSL in PATH

But that didn't work. I'm not sure whether it wants the path to the binary
or the libraries? or the pkg config directory? really not sure. I tried
pointing it at the binary and at the lib directories in turn, but that
didn't work.

So basically, I'm trying to compile engine_pkcs11 using the new version of
openssl, but I am not able to get engine_pkcs11 to use it.

As always, help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Siddhartha