On 2/2/08, Douglas E. Engert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Why? Using the vendor's compiler is common on many platforms,
> especially if your code is in the kernel, or is security
> related, like OpenSC and runs with operating system privileges.

I disagree completely, and believe the other way around. Open Source
tools provides better compatibility and security.
But this is not the place to argue on such things... :)

> If its the cost of the compiler that is an issue, have you looked at
> the free Visual Studio Express?
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/products/bb933731.aspx

No... But it is also a factor.

> For XP and Vista, it would also be wise for OpenSC to start using
> Manifests to make OpenSC more compatible, as it is security related
> code.

Using Manifests requires to be more dependent on Microsoft
technologies. Also it has nothing to do with security. A simpler
solution would be to create a new DLL name for each release.

Thanks,
Alon.