On 2/2/08, Martin Paljak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2008, at 12:11 AM, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> > Using Manifests requires to be more dependent on Microsoft
> > technologies. Also it has nothing to do with security. A simpler
> > solution would be to create a new DLL name for each release.
>
> Windows is Windows is owned by Microsoft and this is a sad fact.

And AIX by IBM and Solaris by HP, and still you expect to compile
using gcc on these platforms.

> The fact that OpenSC has windows specific stuff in it (like using the
> registry) is already a sign that we rely on the MS technology. PKCS#11
> is cross-platform but we can't forget the environment where the cross-
> platform thing is used.

Using an API which is system specific is OK... But why in order to use
this API you need system specific compiler?
Why can't you do release cycle using a cross compile for all
platforms? (Including Microsoft)?

> Windows build needs work, true. One day I got annoyed as well and
> created a SCons file to build OpenSC. Unfortunately the end result of
> a clean build did not load in firefox and I have not checked OpenSC on
> Windows since that time. Maybe I should and we would have another
> competitor for the 'better windows build ecosystem'

I believe the MinGW support I added simplify things, at it uses the
same build system for all architectures and reduces the efforts to
maintain the build system, and even Microsoft compiler specific stuff
(for example it is missing stdint.h and more).

It also reduces the chances for incompatibilities, as now when you add
a patch, you have no way to know that you broke the Microsoft port...
Take for example the latest ruToken patches... Supporting MinGW32
makes it easy for users without Microsoft machine to check
compatibility.

So even if people prefer to build OpenSC using Microsoft compiler,
having MinGW option have a major benefit.

Alon.