before I forget:
we also have at least one card reader with wireless interface.
it supports iso 14433A and B and mifare protocols, if I'm not mistaken.
the code to use it is librfid.

I would prefer not to use the "rfid" name in any way, since has become a
generic word for very different technologies (e.g. contactless smart cards
akaiso 14443A and B and mifare, but also autoid tags aka ISO 18006-C
and predecessors, and also active powered cards (not sure which protocol)
etc.).

but I'm not sure if the patches to get wireless smart cards going was ever
merged, or if anyone uses them, so there is no urgency at all for this.

Regards, Andreas