Am Dienstag 27 Januar 2009 19:14:31 schrieb Stanislav Brabec:
> Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
> > 2009/1/23 Stanislav Brabec <sbra...@suse.cz>:
> > > I don't know, whether multi-slot devices use more USB devices, more USB
> > > interfaces or only one interface and multi-slot protocol.
> >
> > A multi-slot reader is just one USB device. The only difference is the
> > value of the bMaxSlotIndex field in the CCID descriptor.
> >

> > I don't know if you should have two categories: readers and tokens.
>
> Probably only one "category": iso7816, but more "capabilities".

I guess the "category" should be something the end user understands.
thus my preference would be "smart_card_reader" and "usb_crypto_token".

cases where a usb crypto token implements ccid and thus is recognized as
smart_card_reader are fine with me.

"iso7816" was more like a hint for techies, like what cards the reader
supports. (we could even extend it do the differrent formats like id1
(credit card size) and id0 (sim card size), but I think that is more work
than we want to do. (forgive me if I mixed up id0/1/2/...)

> > How do you differentiate them? The form factor?
>
> Knowing the model USB ID, we can provide this information.

well, sometimes we simply say "everything marked as ccid (i.e. interfaceClass
11 or whatever it was in usb speak)" is supported by our ccid driver.
then we have no other knowledge than "generic ccid device". but the
hald can copy over vendor and product id strings, if it has something like
that.

> It is possible to detect form factor (credit card size, SIM size)? Is it
> the same way that can be used to detect contact less reader?

card size doesn't matter, most readers support credit card size and have
some plastik that will be used with sim size cards. the card is the same,
only more plastik with no functionality around the chip and contact field.

contact less readers: there are several different protocols, so we should
somehow signal which protocols a reader supports (e.g. iso14443A, iso14443B
and mifare (or which of the mifare protocols)).

most contactless readers are multiformat and have one chip for everything.

also while opensc is mostly concerned with smart cards and rsa crypto
security, many contactless smart cards are stupid memory cards, or
authentication depends on the serial number (which is easy to fake sometimes).
or the card use a special shared-secret based crypto channel, so you can't
access the card, unless you configure that crypto secret first, and other head-
aches. note: I'm no expert here, but this is what I remember. so not sure if
anyone one linux uses these cards, and if so will use them via openct or
pcscd. also opensc at least does not encrypt and secure its communication
with a card, as it should in a wireless scenario (note: maybe some driver
does, depends on each driver).

so not big deal, if our first shot at the wireless case is not perfect, or if
we postpone that part of the work for now.

Regards, Andreas