2009/1/28 Stanislav Brabec <sbra...@suse.cz>:
> We need a "category" string that covers both and use it for both,
> otherwise we will have problems in defining generic rules (especially in
> case, when we know, that it is ISO 7816 device, but don't know, which
> one).
>
> Possibilities:
> iso7816 = smart_chip*

Please, please, please use "smart_card" instead of "smart_chip".

> iso7811 = magnetic_stripe* (serial protocol, probably no connection with
>          smart_chip* devices).
> iso7810 = identification* (we probably don't need this vague category)

I have no idea what this 2 other ISO standards are for.

> Here are things we should define:
>
> For reader:
> - That it "smart chip" device (ISO 7816)
>  Possible proposal: category = 'smart_chip_device' (string)

Please use "smart_card_reader".
The smart card form factor is really not important: SIM size or full size.

> For cards and token chips:
> - ATR code of card (device ID)
>  Possible proposal: smart_chip.atr =
> '3b:be:18:00:00:41:05:10:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:90:00' (string)
> - Type of card (EMV, ID card, phone SIM,...), if known.
>  Possible proposal: smart_chip.card_type = 'EMV' (string), optional
> - Maybe a separate key whether it is a crypto card
>  Possible proposal: smart_chip.crypto = 'yes' (boolean)
> - Optionally opensc driver
>  Possible proposal: info.opensc.driver = 'oberthur' (string)

To populate HAL with card information you will need the help of a
PC/SC or OpenCT application.
Maybe pcscd can do that if needed.

> Form factor is specified in ISO 7810. ISO 7816 specifies chip.
> And it is a property of slot, not the reader (I can imagine a reader
> with one SIM and one card slot).

The Eutron SIM Pocket Combo [1] is such a reader.

> I have even seen devices that are on half of way between smart tokens
> and smart card readers. They are smart tokens with slot for SIM smart
> card.

What is the smart token in this precise case?

Bye

[1]
http://www.eutronsec.it/infosecurity/contents/productline/Details.aspx?IDProd=11&IDFamiglia=3&IDDett1lev=931

--