( As Spanish authorities finally said No-no to allow re-licensing GPL'd
DNIe code for inclusion in OpenSC, me an some others have started a
written-from-scratch OpenSC DNIe module. We are next to start writing
sm code... )

At lun, 11-10-2010 a las 09:56 +0300, Martin Paljak wrote:
[....]

> >> There are not many card drivers with SM support (yet) and generally SM
> >> support is a somewhat moving target. Do you have practical suggestions
> >> for improvement?
> > From what I have seen, message padding, the construction of the
> > authentication data and encoding of the SM APDU data is conform to
> > ISO-7916 for all SM cards, which opensc already supports.

Afaik For Spanish DNIe that is true too

> What I am
> > suggesting (and implemented in my SM implementation, see above) is that
> > these operations could be done by an abstraction layer that sits between
> > user input and the card specific configuration and implementations for
> > ciphers and authentication. So the card initializes some flags for which
> > parts should be included in the authentication data or the SM APDU data
> > and sets call back functions for the actual encrypting/decrypting or
> > authentication of buffers.

I'm coding something similar for DNIe: a sort of "virtual channel" that
hides SM operations to the rest of OpenSC code

[...]
> > So what needs to be changed? I have an implementation up and running
> > which is based on OpenSC. It should be easily integrated as card driver.
> > But my implementation uses also the SM abstraction I described above.
> > This abstraction layer of course only implements what is needed for the
> > nPA. So if integration in OpenSC is wanted, the question is whether to
> > rewrite the SM layer to match the card-centric aproach which is used at
> > the moment in OpenSC, whether to rewrite the SM card drivers of OpenSC
> > to use the abstraction or to use the already running nPA-tool and not
> > integrate it into libopensc.
>
> Can you prepare two patches against current trunk: the card driver and the
> related secure messaging code?

Yes, please :-)