On 9/9/2011 4:22 AM, Martin Paljak wrote:
> On 09/09/11 11:32, Viktor Tarasov wrote:
>> Le 09/09/2011 10:09, Martin Paljak a écrit :
>>>
>>> Then the solution is IMHO simple.
>>>
>>> AFAIK only one proprietary (which does not work with 0.12 IIRC, the
>>> troubled DNIe binary module) exists in the wild at the moment and I
>>> don't think we should bolster piggybacking on OpenSC for this purpose.
>>
>> Fine,
>> and to continue this movement, could we envisage the abandon of support
>> of the obsolete cards ?
> As you are also the original code author, you should be the best to
> judge what is relevant and what not.
>

>> Example, 'oberthur' driver supports the old v.2.xx of the 'AuthentIC'
>> PKI applet with the proprietary file system.
>> This card is not more produced.
>> The new 3.2 version of this  applet, compatible with PKCS#15, is
>> actually supported by 'authentic' card driver.
>
> If there are cards out there and there is not much needed to maintain
> the current driver as a working entity, I would not rush to remove it
> ASAP. Maybe a forward notice would do good and the code can rotten there
> with the intent of being removed in X months ?

There may be (or not) people who are using one of these old drivers
who are not developers, or on any OpenSC list.

Is there any way to find out from the user community if a driver
is still being used?

Anyway to notify a user that a driver may be dropped?

One possible way would be to turn off some drivers
in the opensc.conf file. Comments and an OpenSC web
page would say how to turn it back on, and how to request
that it not be dropped.

> Martin

  Douglas E. Engert  <deeng...@anl.gov>
  Argonne National Laboratory