2012/3/23 Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE <jmpo...@gooze.eu>:

> In the past, main OpenSC developers used to have write access to the
> main trunk or at least to their development.

Even minor ones, such as myself.

> This is no longer the case. The new collaboration tools like GIT are
> used to limit the power of the main developers.

I do not think so. Anybody is free to write code and share it.

> * Only one or two members control commits.
>
> * As a result, they are overwhelmed with work and cannot keep on
> reviewing patches. Some patches have been around for 6 months.

Please understand that nobody needs to be a committer in order to be a
reviewer. Anyone can be a reviewer, and Gerrit is meant to make that
easier. I think that my own position is fairly close to Peter's on
this matter. If I had seen code reviews on this list, and their
iterations had output reviewed code that did not make it into trunk,
I'd agree with you that limited commit rights are a bottleneck. Since
I haven't, I can't really say that committers are the bottleneck.

I am sure that there are many good examples of this notion. I'll share
the first example that comes to my mind, which is the Illumos
development process. You can see this going on at
https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/182179/=now (even without
advanced tools like Gerrit).

I will not comment on pcsc-lite, as I don't know enough about it, but
I agree with everything that Martin has written today on this list.

> * For me the next step is a company like Apple or Gemalto taking over
> OpenSC. Some reviewers are already Gemalto contractors, this is not a
> secret.

This is more of a conspiracy theory than anything else, IMVHO. I might
even comment, tongue-in-cheek, that if nobody except Gemalto
contractors is interested in reviewing code, then maybe that would be
a reasonable course of action. ;)

> when reading your statement Emmanuele, we understand that you are
> serving the community. Thanks.

I actually scratched my own itch. It happened to be the same itch of a
larger community, and after that I did agree to doing some work to
benefit other community members but not myself. That is all.

> Now we are asking Ludovic and Martin to make a statement where the they
> confirm a) and b):
> 1) The OpenSC project is owned by the community at large, not one or two
> individuals.

I think that your notion of ownership, as you explained by way of the
car example, is misleading at best. A FLOSS project such as this is
more concerned with stewardship than ownership, as far as I can see.

Best regards,

--
Emanuele