Felix Schulte writes:
> > The PROJECT TEAM agreed with my SUGGESTION
> Was this really a SUGGESTION? It looked like a thread for me

A "threat" looks like this:

        "I will vote to deny this case, and I will raise the same
        issue with the C-team at integration time."

Nothing Darren said looked even remotely like that.

I understand that project teams sometimes do take the random opinions
of a handful of ARC members as absolute law.  And it's as much a
problem within Sun as it is for external contributors.

That said, this is still a discussion, not a set of absolutes.  If it
were absolutes, then there'd be no need for the discussion at all.

> I was referring to the stupid libcmd questions. If ARC would have done
> their stupid homework and read the stupid ksh93 integration mailman
> archive there wouldn't be so many stupid questions

I think it's vitally important that both Sun internal and other Open
Solaris participants understand how the various reviews are done,
including architectural review.

The above statement misunderstands an important part of the process.
It is the project team's responsibility to bring relevant materials
forward for review.  It is not the reviewer's responsibility to read
through the tons of discussion that may have led up to a submission,
nor to track down the participants in the various private discussions
that may have been held prior to submission for review.

Yes, I agree that _some_ of this discussion could have been short-cut
by a review of the archives (or better yet, a summary).  No, I don't
agree that _all_ of it would have been avoided, as some still needed
convincing.  This is just the nature of reviews.

And I especially don't agree that your commentary on the process is
particularly helpful here.

--
James Carlson, KISS Network                    <james.d.carlson at sun.com>