On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 12:19:29PM +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> But as ksh88 cannot be included in OpenSolaris, Sun needs to either deviate
> from other OpenSolaris based distros or convert to ksh93 too.

What Alan was saying is that once a definitive list of differences
exists, it should be possible to implement a clean set of extensions
to ksh93 for backward compatibility; that implementation could then be
used by Solaris and included with OpenSolaris for other distributions
to use as well.  There seems to be a lot of "horrors!  there's no
source for the elliptical frobnicator; we'll have to {diverge,break
compatibility}!" going around.  The right solution is neither;
instead, someone needs to do work and reimplement (or show why it's
not needed) the affected components.  In some cases, that work has to
be done by Sun, but in others it's already possible for anyone.

--
Keith M Wesolowski              "Sir, we're surrounded!"
Solaris Kernel Team             "Excellent; we can attack in any direction!"