On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 04:34:57PM -0500, Mark Sweeney wrote:

> I want to host a community which already exists, the 'CIFS community',
> on the OpenSolaris website.  I want to do this since we have several
> implementations that work on Solaris of CIFS already and especially
> since there is a native OpenSolaris client coming out, which has been
> wanted for some time.  Going to  google and typing 'CIFS community' as
> a search will show you some results of where the CIFS community
> members lurk for other operating systems or for specific
> cross-platform implementations.
>
> If ZFS, and indeed, all the FS's may migrate to being projects in a
> Filesystems community at some point then that's fine.  Until then, I
> would prefer to keep things consistent and organized, and we can move
> them all together.  A lack of consistency in organization would bother
> me.

I have no qualms about creating a CIFS community, and have no strong
opinion on the overall direction of this request.  While there may be
dozens of other reasons for creating a community over a project, I was
only pointing out that the above, specific, rationale is broken and
inadequate.  Do not use "lack of consistency" as justification for
making the wrong choice.

Stephen gave precise criteria for establishing a community versus a
project.  Don't use existing communities as justification, since by
nature they did not have to address these questions at the time they
were created.  "Because ZFS did it" or "it would be inconsistent with
UFS" are not valid reasons, nor should the establishment of a Filesystem
Community be a prerequesite for making a CIFS project.

- Eric

--
Eric Schrock, Solaris Kernel Development       http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock