Ben Rockwood wrote:
> Very nice indeed!  Highly complementary.

Cool!

> This sort of data definate answers the age old questions "Where is
> everyone?" very well.  The data would need to be generated
> on a weekly basis though, any longer than 1 week and the
> data isn't terrably useful because all the discussions are
> too old to get involved in, and I see this as being a great
> way to more properly channel interest around the hot topics
> and perhaps more importantly, around the neglected topics.
>
> What I'm not clear about is how this report was generated.  Was it
> by hand or by some application?

It's actually just done via some rather crude mbox/header munging using
tools such perl, uniq, sort, and the formail (comes with procmail)
header munging/extraction tool, and then finished off with some (too
much actually) manual touchups. E.g. filtering which original posts are
made by leaders and also the flagging of leaders in the last part of
the report is currently almost 100% manually done.

The mbox format of the forums is available from the mailman archives.

I'll see how much further I can automate it to try and get the frequency
down to weekly instead of bi-weekly.

> And could we expand it to aggrigate
> information across all the discussion groups or just one at a time?

I think some of it lends itself to aggregation. I'll fiddle around
with that.

Thanks for the feedback!

Eric