On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 16:22 +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Erast Benson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 16:49 +0000, Darren J Moffat wrote:
> > > GPL as a standalone driver written to the Solaris DDI shouldn't
> > > be a problem as long as it stays under the GPL.  However there isn't
> > > much change of that becoming part of the official OpenSolaris source
> > > tree unless someone discovers how to combine GPL and CDDL sources
> > > (one being project based the other being file based) without
> > > breaking the licenses.
> >
> > And this brings an interesting topic. Whether GPL-licensed OpenSolaris
> > driver could be legally shipped as a separated package within an
> > OpenSolaris-based distribution like NexentaOS?
>
> Why do you still believe that there is a difference between things
> distributed together with OpenSolaris and things distributed separately?

You removed my other statement from original e-mail:

"""My wild guess is that it would be OK."""

i.e. as I said, I do believe that it would be OK. i.e. no
difference. :-)

The only limitation for such a driver would be the fact that it will
never become part of ON bits. Which is totally OK (taking in account of
existence and stability of Solaris DDI interfaces).

As a side note: for Linux kernel this code "separation" will *never*
work since Linux and its development team doesn't care about such a
drivers. Maintaining separated drivers for Linux kernel is extremely
painful work and requires a lot of workers (examples VMware drivers)
which small OSS project just can not afford.

--
Erast