Dennis Clarke wrote:
Hi folks,

I was informed there was a bit of a broohaha over here, about packaging up
open source binaries for solaris and opensolaris.
So, as the author of pkg-get, and the creator/leader of the CSW packaging
efforts living on blastwave.org, I thought I'd poke my head in and wave.

  This is a great explanation of the problem with bloat.

  The issue at hand is the creation of a new project whick will allow for a
  discussion on how to proceed with the Companion CD that installs into the
  /opt/sfw area.

  Or even to discuss a whole new plan of attack for the problem.

  The software repository and release procedures we have at Blastwave are a
  current successful model that addresses the open source needs of Solaris
  users.  However, it is far from perfect.

  Can we open discussions that will allow us to explore other possibilities
  or perhaps apply what we have learned ?
This is exactly what I think one of the primary focuses of this new project will be. The SFW and Blastwave minds have been apart far too long and this project, being in the open, finally brings everyone together at one table, with equal ability to provide input and guidance. I would propose that both Steve and Phil be made leaders of the new project. I think everyone can agree that all involved parties bring a lot to the table, but everyone can think of trade offs between them. Having the combined experience involved in this effort would finally put us on the right track to having a solution that, if not solves these problems, at least allows everyone to more cleanly interact.

I can think of several possible new ways of implementing things that would provide a better freeware platform for everyone, in which Blastwave and Sun both have distinct advantages and no one is made inferior, just off the top of my head. I know that others have plenty of ideas themselves. Clearly, Blastwave has the delivery and selection nailed, hands down. The CCD has a reputation that many customers trust and solely rely upon. There has got to be a multitude of ways of making these two come together in a productive way but still provide distinction between them so that everyone can win.

benr.