Tom Erickson wrote:
Sounds like fun.  I'm the Chime project owner, and I think Chime is a
good fit for a student who likes programming in Java.  It's a new
project, so there's lots of ways it can be improved :-)  For example

- A student interested in data visualization could gain experience with
  JFreeChart, a SourceForge project used by Chime, and design some new
  display types besides the existing bar and line graphs.
- There's a client/server prototype optionally used by Chime that
  someone could replace with JMX or cacao or something that supports
  user authentication, etc.
- Chime needs a wizard or Netbeans-style property editor for creating
  new displays (a good chance to get familiar with XML).
- Chime needs a way to playback XML recordings without having to decode
  an entire file into memory all at once.
- Someone might want to make Chime run in a web browser.
- A new set of displays designed specifically to answer questions about
  one aspect of the system could be an interesting project, possibly
  resulting in a new tool separate from Chime.
- More ways to rearrange D programs (or create new D programs) in
  response to GUI gestures could make Chime better at answering
  questions.  Specific dtrace(1M) use cases could provide a useful
  starting point for someone to make Chime follow the same steps more
  easily.
The Chime project will be a good introduction to DTrace. Some of the
ideas above may require expertise from the community or a more specific
problem statement.  Anyone who has tried the tool and has a suggestion,
please share it.

Another idea: Peter Tribble in the observability community has done some
cool work with kstats: http://www.petertribble.co.uk/Solaris/jkstat.html
Someone could build on that to solve a specific observability problem.

Let me know if you'd like me to mock up a Summer of Code page under the
Chime project.

This is excellent. Thanks, Tom. There's also some conversation on the marketing list with some ideas. Perhaps we should start putting all the suggestions from the lists on a page or a wiki site so we can easily point to it? Anyone want to take a stab at that? Once we are approved, Derek said he'd put a box on the front page of opensolaris.org pointing to all the contributing projects.

Jim