On 5/2/06, Darren J Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Holger Berger wrote:
> On 5/2/06, Darren J Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Holger Berger wrote:
>>
>> > The problem I see that these "extended attributes" are inaccessible
>> > from within normal applications and the provided kludges such as
>> > runat(1) are not usable outside a lab environment. First at all these
>> > extended attribute files need to be made accessible in the normal file
>> > system name space, otherwise it is just wasted time to deal with them.
>>
>> The whole point of them is that they aren't part of the normal file
>> system name space.  They aren't on MacOS X either as best as I can tell,
>> and I don't believe (though I have no way to check nor the skill to do
>> so) that they are on Windows XP either.
>>
>> They are also fully intended to be application/system specific
>
> What if the "application" is the shell itself? The shell cannot access
> those files and many tools dump core when used via runat(1). I'd say

IMO thats not really what they were intended for.

For which specific application was the XATTR API designed for? JDS?

It certainly wasn't
why they were introduced into Solaris.

IMO runat(1) should never have been shipped it presents a "strange" view
of the world and an illusion that something outside of the creating
application can and should be able to manipulate the xattrs (which IMO
is not necessarily a desireable thing).

I agree with you. Could you file a bug to get it removed from the
distribution, please?

Holger