Holger Berger wrote:

The problem I see that these "extended attributes" are inaccessible
from within normal applications and the provided kludges such as
runat(1) are not usable outside a lab environment. First at all these
extended attribute files need to be made accessible in the normal file
system name space, otherwise it is just wasted time to deal with them.

The whole point of them is that they aren't part of the normal file system name space. They aren't on MacOS X either as best as I can tell, and I don't believe (though I have no way to check nor the skill to do so) that they are on Windows XP either.

They are also fully intended to be application/system specific. They are intended to be tightly coupled with the "normal" file though. For example their use by Spotlight on MacOS X.

The whole point of an application using XATTRS is that it doesn't want other parts of the system to get easy access to its private content but it wants the flexibility of named streams of the data.

--
Darren J Moffat