On 5/2/06, Darren J Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Holger Berger wrote:
> On 4/10/06, Roland Mainz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Stephen Hahn wrote:
>> >   One of the upcoming submissions for the freeware consolidation
>> will be
>> >   to ensure that Subversion and Mercurial are available in one or more
>> >   of the standard installation scenarios.
>>
>> Where will subversion be located ? I hope it's /usr/ccs/bin/ like all
>> the other development stuff...
>> BTW: When subversion will become a part of Solaris I'd like to propose a
>> project which looks at some platform-specific optimisations for
>> subversion, including some hacks to libsvn_wc (the code which handles
>> the subversion working copy) to make it faster and employ XATTR files
>> instead of the .svn/ directories...

I don't believe it will actually make it go faster since XATTR files are
just files in a special directory at the end of the day.

> I think this is wasted time. The whole XATTR API is brain dead and
> should IMHO be depreciated in favor of a extension which will allow
> all applications to access such attribute files. You should also take
> into consideration that the XATTR API will not be supported on any
> other operating systems in the foreseeable future due its brokenness.

So if it is just the API that is broken we can fix that.  Apple's HFS+
has extended attributes as well and uses them quite heavily as far as I
can tell.  Their API is different to the openat(2) that Solaris has though.

The problem I see that these "extended attributes" are inaccessible
from within normal applications and the provided kludges such as
runat(1) are not usable outside a lab environment. First at all these
extended attribute files need to be made accessible in the normal file
system name space, otherwise it is just wasted time to deal with them.

Holger