> Hmmm...  Blastwave isn't the only wget (and therefore pkg-get)
> service around.  :)  Steve Christensen's SunFreeware site
> (http://www.sunfreeware.com) has been around for 14 years, and
> also supports pkg-get access.

Used it too. :) Thanks for mentioning another excellent tool.

> Not speaking in any way for Sun, but I *like* having these
> folks managing the OSS pool of packages for us.  If you look
> at the list of "Credits" on SunFreeware, or "Who is" on
> Blastwave, you'll notice that they are not just one guy running
> make a million times on a box in his garage...  they are
> thriving communities of developers.  Just like us.  :D

I like it too. I'd like it more if Sun decided to support one of these two, and
make it "official" just like Debian has their official .deb repositories, they
handle security, keeping them up to date, etc. Blastwave, SFW, whatever - we
need something like this, and until they are supported/a part of OSOL/Solaris -
it's no good. Thriving communities can disappear in a heartbeat. No disrespect
to either of these two excellent projects, of course. It's just an issue Sun
needs to resolve, it's been a thorn in the side for long enough - and telling
consumers "oh just use this unsupported software from this community, they are
really grand guys" isn't going to cut it, not in the market you are trying to
appeal to. It's just another step the consumer has to go through to get going
on Solaris. Why? OSOL/Solaris needs something integrated. With developers who
can make such amazing things as ZFS/Dtrace/etc, why is it SO hard to pick a
package format, setup some guidelines and routines
, setup a maintenence schedule (updates/new features and bug/security fixes),
and start work. The community could easily help, look at the amazing job Dennis
and cew did with Blastwave, and the SFW team have done. Sun just needs to pick
something, stand behind it, and give it a bit of support (make sure things are
up to Sun's high stability/etc standards.) It really is 2006, even Gentoo,
known for being one of the most "do it yourself" type distros of linux has a
management system/repository for its' software. We need something, and the
longer it gets pushed backed and the more people get told "we know it's a
problem, we'll fix it - no eta", the more turned off people are going to be.

For goodness sake, I've got two FreeBSD boxes doing all my web serving because
I didn't want to go through the hassle of hand compiling
apache/php/modules/mysql/postgresql/etc (not to mention it was a mess to even
try, all the path issues, library issues, blah blah blah.. blame the dumb
linux-oriented scripts, but this is exactly what a supported package management
system would *fix*). Etc etc, I don't want to beat a dead horse any longer, I
was just looking to see the status of this, and apparently I'm going to get no
more an answer than I have before. It's ETA indefinite, shoot craps and hope
Blastwave/SFW are around in a year, or you're SOL - sorry but we don't care
that our OS is unusable for the average person. Sorry to be harsh, but it
really is the impression I get - and all the people I've had try Solaris have
gotten. I can't even get my employees to use it as a desktop because they can't
figure out how to get new software/install it. They aren't engineers/computer s
cience guys, they are just general office-type people. Why should you need a 4
year degree in science to be able to use a desktop computer? Somebody has
things backwards over @ Sun. An awesome kernel, and amazing stability don't
help when you can't even use the OS. :) My apologies again for the tone, no
offense is intended, I'm just frustrated with the lack of direction I see in
this area.

David