> On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 11:32:52PM +0100, Peter
> Tribble wrote:
>
> > > Indeed, that's precisely why they were chosen
> (ditto all the other
> > > Shifted shortcuts in gnome-terminal).  In fact,
> in JDS we changed it
> > > back for a while, but that patch seems to
> regressed (or removed, I don't
> > > know which), and there's at least one person who
> wants to keep it that
> > > way; see bug 6419901.
> >
> > Indeed, although the 'additional configuration
> information'
> > bit wasn't from me.
>
> Hurrah for sensible formatting from
> bugs.opensolaris.org. It was from me. The
> terminal is somewhat unusual in that it's an
> "application in a box"; not having
> page up/down available in mutt is incredibly annoying
> with large mailboxes.
>
> > I've ended up reverting my snv42 test machine back
> to S10U2 to
> > get sane JDS behaviour (fortunately hadn't upgraded
> my zfs pool).
>
> I think it's too contentious an issue to call either
> side "sane". Sad to say
> it, but I think this is truly one of those cases
> where the only real fix is a
> configuration option.
>
> regards
> john

It is indeed contentious. I jumped for joy whenever I noticed that I no longer
had to futz with terminal mappings to make my PgUp/PgDown keys "just work" in
gnome-terminal in JDS. Now if only my home and end keys would work by default,
things would be wonderful!

Really, during install time, this is one of those things that could probably be
defaulted to the new behaviour, with the option to use the old behaviour. Most
people that have used Linux, BSD, etc. are used to having their home, end,
pgup, pgdown keys "just work" in their terminal applications (shell, editor,
mail, etc.).

I realise some of the old ways may need to remain the default for the normal
commercial Solaris distirbution since it mirrors the behaviour that most of
SUN's customers would be used to.

-Shawn