On Thu, 27 Jul 2006, Stefan Teleman wrote:

> How is "gratuitous incompatibility" defined in this particular case ?
>
> The possibility that someone who will try the PowerPC Solaris port in
> the future might be unhappy because this future port will default to
> ksh93 instead of /bin/ksh, creating the possibility that Korn Shell
> scripts written in 1990 might break in 2008 ?

Mmmm.  Perhaps I was overly assertive, although I stick to the principle.
'Course, the ensuing discussion about ksh88 not being able to be open
sourced doesn't help the debate.

Having someone in SunLabs provide PPC binaries for ksh88 sounds like
a non-optimal situation to me.  In the long run, migrating /bin/ksh
to ksh93 seems to be the ideal, but it must be done carefully, with
the proper notices appearing the right places.

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638