On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Darren J Moffat wrote:

I'm actually starting to think that Nexenta's /usr/sun isn't that bad an
idea and maybe even Solaris should have that.  That would mean that I
could do things like this:

        PATH=/usr/sun/bin:/usr/gnu/bin:/usr/bin

That would mean that on Nexenta and on Solaris I would always prefer
the 'Solaris/Sun' version of a tool over the GNU one then what ever
is in /usr/bin.

Or I could do:

        PATH=/usr/xpg6/bin:/usr/gnu/bin:/usr/bin

Which would mean prefer 'POSIX' then GNU then what ever the host has.

For Solaris /usr/sun would probably be links to /usr/bin and the
/usr/gnu/bin stuff would binaries.

For Nexenta the /usr/gnu/bin would be links to /usr/bin and the
/usr/sun/bin would be the binaries.

For me all that appears to me missing on Solaris is /usr/gnu and
/usr/sun and for Nexenta adding the /usr/xpg? variants.

A distro should be free to not provide any of the /usr/xpg?, /usr/sun or
/usr/gnu personalities if it doesn't want to.

IMO these personality directories should only be used where there are
multiple incompatible implementations of a command/library of the same
name.  For example smbclient should always be in /usr/bin since there is
only one smbclient.  Same for ncftp(1) there is only one ncftp(1).  On
the other hand I'd expect an ls(1) command in everyone of those directories.

Hmm, nice synthesis. So is the following a logical conclusion?
With a fairly painless change to the /usr/gnu ARC
proposal[1], we can achieve a compatibility alignment in this
regard between Nexenta, Solaris Express (Nevada), and any
other distros that also align...

[1]http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=8631&tstart=15