Menno Lageman wrote:
Dennis Clarke wrote:

I personally have always wondered why the ps command display what root is
 doing to ordinary users like as if it is any of their business but that
 is another idea I just let rattle around in my head.

Dennis,

You can do this (in Solaris 10 and up) by taking away the proc_info privilege from a user.

$ ppriv -vl proc_info
proc_info
        Allows a process to examine the status of processes other
        than those it can send signals to.  Processes which cannot
        be examined cannot be seen in /proc and appear not to exist.

To take away proc_info from user xyz you would add the following entry to /etc/user_attr:

    xyz::::defaultpriv=basic,!proc_info

And the less you can do as a normal user, the more people will be tempted to run as root all the time. Life (and hence security) is full of these little tradeoffs.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, [EMAIL PROTECTED]; http://dd-b.net/dd-b
Pics: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum, http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery