Martin Bochnig wrote:
James C. McPherson wrote:

Despite the years of experience with ZFS and how it uses kmem...

IMNSHO the bottom line is this - if you want to have a fair
crack at seeing what ZFS can do for you, you need a 64bit
processor and 1Gb of ram.

The OP's question had been, whether or not "Solaris 10 with ZFS" runs
__at all__ on his U10 with only 128MB RAM.

And clearly my definition of "being able to run at all" differs
from yours. My experience with suggesting system sizing over the
years shows that the system's users greatly appreciate being
told - from the outset - that they need a more appropriate config.

Performance would be the next question (while he did not ask it).

Definitely.

He should also replace his U10 with a chep Blade 1000 (below $300 these
days) then.

Agreed, but if the OP does not have the opportunity to do so,
adding more ram is the next best thing.

James C. McPherson
--
Solaris kernel software engineer