After the constitution is ratified, and the OGB is in place, and all the source is in Mercurial outside the firewall, that next "big" thing for OpenSolaris will be for the communities (a la the constitution) to figure out what the process is to becoming a contributor and under what rules code may be checked in.

It's all moving slower than I want, but it's moving. There's a lot of infrastructure required to do all of this, and we're bumping into some issues. (Ask Stephen Lau about the automounter sometime. :-)) But, what you ask will happen.

Erast Benson wrote:
On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 15:40 -0800, Alan DuBoff wrote:
>From the outside, this is how folks view what Sun is doing. They see some of the things that Sun does and scratch their head. It's not as though Sun is doing the wrong thing, they just don't communicate with the community very well when they do many of these things, so the community is in the dark.

indeed, i don't know about others, but I feel that I do not see many
things which are going on inside of ON development. Like, schedule of
stabilization builds, code reviews, decisions made, etc.

Also, it would be wonderful if Sun engineers invented a rule of thumb
which will enforce every single putback to go through the community
review before merging to the main tree, similar to what we see in Linux
kernel, where patches goes directly to the mailing list and reviewed by
thousands of kernel hackers. Not only it will increase community's input
but also will stimulate outsiders to commit more often.

This would also help outsiders to understand ON code and will create
certain discipline among developers.

--
Stephen Harpster
Director, Open Source Software