On Thursday 01 February 2007 05:30 pm, Stephen Harpster wrote:
> Alan DuBoff wrote:
> > On Thursday 01 February 2007 03:51 pm, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> >> How about "Look harder - they've all been in OpenSolaris for a long
> >> time"?
> >
> > Humor me more. Having the software located on the OpenSolaris site
> > doesn't mean that it's a part of the project. When you download the
> > sources for OpenSolaris today, it does not install X, nor does it GNOME,
> > nor does it CUPS, as a case in point.
>
> That's by design.  Why mirror all that open source on opensolaris.org?
> What happens if they don't agree?  Upstream code stays upstream and
> OpenSolaris pulls from it.  We do not want to fork, even accidentally.

That's not the point Stephen, the point is that today Xorg is not a part of
the sources that I'm calling OpenSolaris, where AlanC is considering
everything to be on the OpenSolaris site to be what OpenSolaris is.

This is all fine and dandy, but this doesn't help folks download, install, and
use OpenSolaris. We don't have a distribution yet, however, the way Sun
markets it to the press and community, it's the open source version of
Solaris.

The packaging tools are on OpenSolaris also, but I don't think they're a part
of ON, so the package tools are not in the sources.

Most people that want to run OpenSolaris need to install Solaris Express
first. This is a distribution that includes Xorg, GNOME, CUPS, et al.

How come I don't see Sun market OpenSolaris as including Xorg?

--

Alan DuBoff - Solaris x86 Engineering - IHV/OEM Group
Advocate of Insourcing at Sun, hire people that care about our company!