>Are the engineering benefits got out of abandoning CD-ROMS greater than
>the loss of a few (?) developers, students and users ?

This is something we need to discuss; and what alternatives there might
be.....

Driving upward the installer footprint, requiring "live" upgrade and
other current plans run, I think, contrary to the goal of increasing the
developer base.

Question we can ask ourselves as community are:

        - Can OpenSolaris distributions fill the "low-end" void?
        - Would a single CD installer image which can point to an
(Internet)
          based server fill the need of the "DVD have-nots"?

To this I can hold up the example of Ubuntu. The installer is minimalistic,
fits in a cd and get packages from repos. A similar strategy currently would
be having a minimal installer (OS/gnome) on a 1 CD install and other
packages from a blastwave like repository. The repository itself can be put
up as a local network server and all the PCs can leech from it. This
scenario works if you can get hold of 1 pc with a DVD rom.. (or allow for
d/l of repository in many CDs).

I'm planning on using this technique in college.

Regards
Anil
SUN Campus Ambassador, JSSATE