Hi There,

Oh? Where can I find the documentation for procedures
for liveupgrade? It still does not have the
flexibility of using repositories and why do I have to
download a bunch of images when it is likely that 90%
of the stuff would be unchanged?

 * http://www.google.com.au/search?q=solaris+live+upgrade

Is it really that difficult?

Yes yes, I am sure if it was wanted, people would come
up with their own images.

Sorry, here "people" seems to be "I Chung Hang Christopher Chan". If I recall correctly, Sun Solaris is a commercial distribution and for the most parts does not contain major functionality that people don't use.

Try that on non-identical hardware...

This discussion seems to be spinning around in circles. There is a lot of benefit to an "apt" like packaging system but clearly a good number of organisations and individuals have gotten by with Solaris without such a packaging system.

That is neither wrong, nor right. It just IS.

Solaris didn't arise like GNU/Linux so its packaging systems and upgrade systems reflect a different mindset than those of GNU/Linux.

That is neither wrong, nor right. It just IS.

There's obviously a place for all the current ways a Solaris system can be upgraded and adding a new way to upgrade doesn't mean some, any or all of those older ways need to be altered or discarded.

I would tender that upgrading a system that used to come from only one single source who had a lot of control over the hardware the system was installed on would make for a different upgrading system than one that is designed to work on disparate hardware, where there are lots of sources and not all of them in agreeance with each other.

So, rather than having a "they're wrong, we're right and we'll come up with some hair brained way to trip the opponents up", why don't we simply evaluate what our current knowledge is, look at what is out there and see how things can be improved?

Flash versus Live Upgrade versus "apt" versus "yum" versus a Windows Like Upgrade discussions are pointless in and of themselves. I'd prefer to see more "We like apt because..." or "We think Live Upgrade is good/bad because..." and so forth.

DSL