Glynn Foster writes:
> In the interests of moving this on, here's the following amendments
> to the proposal.

Thanks.  That clears up my concerns.

(So much for me standing in the way.  Sorry if I disappointed someone
hoping for that.)

> The only other sticking point is the name, and I agree with your concerns -
> though arguably that's the most exciting part of the project proposal. I'm not
> trying alienate all the other current or future distributions in any of this,
> and in fact, I'd encourage their participation or thoughts. I think there's a
> significant benefit to all of this, and if it turns into 2 years wasted (I
> believe it won't), then it will be valuable experience for us all nonetheless.

No, I don't think it's time or effort wasted.

I do wonder a bit what the distributors of far-afield variants ought
to think of this, particularly because of the naming issue and the
clear differences among the existing variants.  If I were working on
Nexenta, would I be pleased, uninterested, or disgusted?  Should I be
jumping at the chance to have my own One True Way stamped as the
'official' OpenSolaris way to build a distribution?