> Before I get to the question in the subject, let me spell out
> the background for it:
<snip>
> While it might be exciting for lots of executive types at Sun,
> for those who are in the open source community,
> it's incredibly "ho hum".

   I wouldn't give it that much.

> What OpenSolaris needs is something like this:
>
> OpenSolaris: the premier open source server platform
>
> or...
>
> "The OpenSolaris project is the only SVR4 based open source
>  platform that scales evenly from 1 CPU to 128 CPUs."

   That is sweet.

   Can we say that it is UNIX ?  At the very least let's look at the
 Single UNIX Spec and determine if we can say it is UNIX ?

 GNU is not UNIX but OpenSolaris sure is.

> OpenSolaris: the open source platform that scales with your hardware

  that's ho mum.

> That www.opensolaris.org hosts a number of things besides the
> nevada source code, I'm well aware of, *but* if we just refer
> to a large glob of things, then, well, it is hard to be as
> exciting as through dedicated focus on a particular aspect
> and attract attention.

  agreed

> Afterall, we are all a part of many different communities,
> the question is why and how do we attract someone *to* opensolaris.
> Just saying we're "open" (and a community) does not cut it.
> We need a differentiator.

  This is UNIX and you can't beat it with a stick.

  I dunno really ... I think that the real difference is that Linux is Linux
and UNIX is UNIX and maybe what OpenSolaris really is .. is UNIX.

Dennis